The OECS Green Committee was an initiative of Dr. Didacus Jules soon after he assumed office as the Director General of the OECS Commission in May 2014.
The main objective of the Green Committee is to encourage sustainable, healthy practices within the organisation with the aim of staff extending these to their homes. The Committee was officially launched on June 27, 2014 and staff participate in activities of the Committee on a voluntary basis.
The pillars of the Green Committee are:
- Energy Conservation and Energy efficiency
- Health and wellness - Improve air quality , improve quality of drinking water
- Reduce and reuse and recycle initiative
- Eating green and healthy
- Sustainable transportation
Hailed for its innovative approaches towards promoting environmentally friendly practices, the OECS Commission’s Green committee — a representative group of fifteen (15) persons, has inspired initiatives at the Castries-based headquarters from the mobilization of clean-up campaigns at the Commission to the transformation of “go green” lifestyle practices among staff at work and at home . The journey included the following:
- Staff Sensitization through presentations on: - Renewable Energy Technologies including Solar Photovoltaics for home – Ministry of Energy Science and Technology, recycling initiative and fuel efficiency
- Installation of signs to encourage fuel conservation
- Acquisition of indoor plants that improve air quality, this includes the use of indoor plants with reputed health promotion values.
- Energy and Water Audit undertaken by an Energy Consultant sponsored under the Caribbean Renewable Energy Development Project CREDP
- The OECS Go Green Fair is another success story of the Commission’s Green Committee. At the OECS Go Green Fair demonstrations of solar PV systems for homes, cooking for healthy eating, displays on the value of LED lights, simple and advanced energy conservation methods as well as the test driving of a new electric vehicle were among the activities which ”wowed” the many onlookers.
- Development of an Energy and Water Management Policy which speaks to the Commission’s commitment to an sustainable energy pathway by improving energy efficiency and reducing energy wastage in its operations. Additionally , water conservation forms and integral part of the Commission’s effort to enhance efficiency and reduce wastage. To fulfill these objectives, an energy management system was recently established.
Spurred on by the catchy chant “OECS-Go Green” the OECS Green Committee’s most recent achievement is the launch of its Building Energy Efficiency Project (BEEP) on 31st August, 2015 at Saint Lucia’s Palm Haven Hotel. During the launch the OECS Commission’s Green committee explained to the wide range of stakeholders such as environmental management experts at key Private and Public sector institutions that the overall objective is to improve the utilization of energy in the OECS Commission and to show leadership in more sustainable use of energy.
The Building Energy Efficiency Project for the OECS – OECS BEEP project also intends to promote the importance and feasibility of implementing an energy management program in an institution or business and the realization of long term savings through effective application of energy management in business operations. Build Partnership in promoting Energy Management initiatives. Another area of interest to the Green committee is waste management and recycling. The Commission has been in dialogue with award winning regional waste company, Greening the Caribbean, to examine options for waste management at the Commission. The Commission hopes to implement this recycle programme by October 2015.
As a diplomatic Organisation the Commission continually strives for overall improvement and recognizes that the promotion of energy sustainability, water conservation, environmental management and healthy lifestyles both within and outside or Organisation as important to quality of life in the region . We hope that our experience can be replicated locally and regionally and we take this opportunity to thank all sponsors, supporters and participant who have contributed to our success.